Visit our Facebook event page to RSVP
SlutWalk Vancouver is coordinated by a group of committed organizers, and working groups.
Inspired by, and acting in solidarity with SlutWalk Toronto, SWV shares their vision (adapted from SWToronto:
- SlutWalk is not about hate, and we do not use hateful language.
- SlutWalk addresses the culture that excuses away all sexual assault, not solely rape.
- SlutWalk recognizes that sexual assault is not something solely done by men to women.
- All people, regardless of gender, have a role in challenging victim blaming and sex shaming that create a culture that justifies acts of sexual violence. This event is not just about the violence, but the excuses that allow violence to continue.
- Women are most often the targets and men are most often the perpetrators, but all genders are affected. SlutWalk recognizes all gender expressions as those that have been and can be negatively impacted. All genders can be sluts or allies.
- Some communities/people are at a higher risk of sexual assault than others based on their status, work, ability, access, race, identity, and a variety of other factors. We aim to recognize this and come together, in all our diversity, as people who are all affected and unite as sluts and allies.
- We recognize that sex workers face extensive historical and current victim blaming and slut-shaming due to their work.
- SlutWalk is an impassioned and peaceful stance that aims to engage others in dialogue.