The women and girls who escape or survive an assault know, or know something about, who the harassers, rapists, batterers and serial killers are. Survivors also give us insights into how to resist. A better understanding is needed about how acting from one's emotion, voice, persistence, ingenuity and training, but above all the use of multiple active strategies can protect women and girls.

I will be posting information here from news articles.

If you have any articles or insights to add your help would be deeply appreciated!

Woman Tells Of Escape From Alleged Serial Killer

CBC  |  Posted: 06/26/2012 1:14 pm Updated: 06/26/2012 3:44 pm

A Winnipeg woman who claims she was attacked by alleged serial killer Shawn Lamb says she is lucky to be alive — but she's angry that police didn't seem to care when she tipped them off about his violent behaviour.

It was a frigid January night earlier this year when 29-year-old Denise, a sex-trade worker who lived on the streets and sold her body in exchange for crack cocaine, was looking for a warm place to get high.

She knocked at the door of her friend's apartment suite. The friend wasn't home but a neighbour, Shawn Lamb, was. Denise says he invited her inside and they shared some crack that she had just scored.

But he wanted more, said Denise, who didn't want her last name published.

"He was forcing himself on me and I fought him off me and I told him if he don't let me out of this house that I'm going to smash up your house," she said, adding her street survival instincts took over.

"Forget this I'm not going to let this guy do this to me — rape me. I'm not going to let this guy do this because I have been through this so many times on the street and out there I'm a fighter."

She says she fought him off, screaming, kicking, punching, and escaped, running out the door and down the stairs.

Shortly after that she entered a sobriety program, in part because of the disappearance of her friend Carolyn Sinclair, whose body was found near a city dumpster in March.

Like Denise, Sinclair was battling a drug addiction and worked in the sex trade to support her habit.

On Monday, Winnipeg police announced that Lamb, 52, is charged with three counts of second-degree murder in connection to the deaths of women reported missing within the last year.

One of those is Sinclair, who was 25.

The others are Tanya Jane Nepinak, 31, and Lorna Blacksmith, 18.

Lengthy record

Lamb, who is originally from Ontario, has an extensive criminal record extending across four provinces.

Since 1979, he has had 109 convictions in Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba. In the latter, Lamb has 45 convictions since 2002 for everything from robbery to forgery, fraud, and uttering threats.

Most recently he was charged with sexual assault in May and again this month. When Lamb was picked up on June 21, that was when police say they learned of his alleged connection to the three homicides.

The news of Lamb's arrest angered Denise, who says she has been sober since her January encounter with the alleged serial killer.

After Sinclair's body was found, Denise and others told police about Lamb's violent behavior and their suspicions he could have something to do with missing women cases.

"I had a gut feeling [he might have been involved]. I thought, 'Oh my God.' I was enraged. My stomach was twisted," Denise said.

But police officers just shrugged her off, she said. She never filed a formal complaint with police.

"It made me feel enraged, as if my voice wasn't heard and it wasn't looked upon and other people made reports of him too," she said.

But Denise said she is relieved she did not become another homicide statistic.

"I thank God every day for letting me live, for letting me survive that [encounter]," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/06/26/mb-sex-assa...

Please read this study (attachment below) about reducing sexual assault of women students by taking a series of workshops in women's self defense.

Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women
New England Journal of Medicine, 2015

Views: 3323

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Girl escapes in Germany after being held for three days at man's apartment, assaulted
by The Associated Press October 17, 2012

BERLIN - Police say a 17-year-old girl who was kidnapped after she left a club in northern Germany and allegedly raped while in captivity has escaped.

Officials said Wednesday they have arrested a 28-year-old suspect with a previous rape conviction. He is alleged to have kidnapped her at knifepoint in Rostock on Friday night and taken her to his apartment, where he beat her up and tied her up.

The girl was reported missing after she left a disco in the city on foot and failed to appear at an arranged meeting with a friend.

City police chief Thomas Laum said that, when the suspect was out of the apartment Tuesday afternoon, the girl managed to free herself and escape through a first-floor window.

The suspect was arrested later Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Girl+escapes+Germany+after+being+h...

Colorado girl escapes two men who tried to kidnap her
By Justin Joseph Oct 23, 2012

Aurora, CO (KDVR/CNN) - A quick-thinking 8-year-old Colorado girl was able to outsmart two men who tried to lure her into a car on Tuesday.

One word helped save the girl from harm's way.

It's a lesson 8-year-old Breonn learned well.

"I kind of started to remember that I'm supposed to scream 'No!' and just runaway," she said.

While making the short walk to her bus stop, Breonn got one chance to make the right decision. She thinks one single word may have saved her life.

"I was standing at the bus stop and there was a black man and he told me to get in the car and I said no and he drove away," she said.

Police came to the Aurora neighborhood quickly after taking the frantic phone call from Breonn's family. They knew quickly what happened at the corner was equally true and chilling.

"We did have a witness we talked to who said she didn`t see anything today but in the past couple weeks she has seen a green SUV in the neighborhood watching the bus stop so that is obviously concerning to us," said Sgt. Cassidee Carlson with the Aurora Police Department.

Parents got a letter from Aurora Schools which offered them another opportunity to review safety with their children.

"It's bad enough to hear about it on the news but to hear about it at the end of your street it's very scary," said one parent.

You talk to parents like Breonn's mother, and they all have the same thought: Jessica Ridgeway.

"I just think about what happened to the little girl and I didn`t want that to happen to her and we almost lost her," said Breonn's mother, Carlette.

Police are still looking for two suspects.

KDVR/CNN

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/344293/28/Colorado-girl-escapes-tw...

Vancouver police seek men who stopped sex assault
The Canadian Press, Jan. 3, 2013

Vancouver police are looking for two Good Samaritans who helped stop a sexual assault early New Year's Day.

Police say a woman was attacked by a man after she got out of a taxi on the west side of the city about 4 a.m.

Two other men waiting at a bus stop rushed to defend the woman and the suspect ran off.

Geoff Gabriel of the Vancouver Police Sex Crimes Unit says the men should be commended for their actions because they stopped the attack before it got any further.

But he says police also want to talk to them because they might have information that could help identify the attacker, described as a white man in his 40's, six feet-four inches tall with a slender build and shaved head.

Police say the woman, a 38 year old Vancouver resident, suffered emotional distress but was not physically injured.

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-police-seek-men-who-stopped-sex-assa...

"Smashing the Masher:" The early women's movement against street harassment in America
by Theresa Johnston on Monday, April 18, 2011

The term “mash note” refers to a gushing or steamy love letter -- something a breathless fan might send to a movie star. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, though, the word “mash” had a more disturbing connotation.

According to Estelle Freedman, the Edgar E. Robinson Professor in U.S. History at Stanford University, aggressive male street flirts, or “mashers,” were a widespread and vexatious problem for American urban women in the pre-suffrage era. She recently encountered the term in old newspaper articles and editorial cartoons, while doing research for a book on the history of sexual violence in America.

Unlike the stereotypical black rapist in the white press and in the 1915 film, The Birth of a Nation, mashers usually were depicted as well-dressed white men whose behavior was more irritating or comical than menacing. In this way, Freedman explained, the masher scare minimized the sexual threat of white men while leaving intact dominant fears of black men as violent rapists.

“I just couldn’t stop reading about it,” Freedman told a lunchtime gathering at Stanford’s Clayman Institute for Gender Research. “In America the term ‘masher’ initially applied to married men who approached women in public, or who frequented brothels. By the 1880s more sinister representations of mashers appeared. Cartoons showed them ogling women ominously in public spaces like Coney Island, which were becoming popular.”

The rise of the masher phenomenon reflected changes in American demographics. As industry supplanted agriculture, more single men were leaving their families for work in the cities. At the same time, more women were entering the public sphere on their own as shoppers, students and wage earners “Matrons ventured downtown to go to the new department stores, where they would encounter an increasingly young female sales force,” Freedman noted. “En route downtown, both shoppers and shopgirls might encounter the masher.”

One of the most interesting things about the masher problem, Freedman said, was the evolving public response to it. At first newspapers urged respectable men to play a stronger role in protecting women from ogling and catcalls. Gradually though, women began taking matters into their own hands. One of the masher cartoons shows an outraged shopper beating her tormentor with an umbrella.

When a crime wave terrorized Chicago in 1905, the Tribune helpfully reprinted stories from around the country about women who had fought back successfully. “One told of a Philadelphia stenographer who took boxing lessons from her brother and then knocked out the man who was forcing his attentions on her,” Freedman said. “Another told of a Japanese visitor to New York who used jujitsu against an electrician who tried to speak to her on the street.”

The masher threat also impelled more women to exercise in city parks not to improve their health or looks or even to provide the brute strength to fend off an attack, said Freedman, but to give them a “keener intuition of what her assailant” might be planning, noted the Tribune article.

On an institutional level, cities from New York to Los Angeles began hiring female police officers specifically to protect young women. “By 1920,” Freedman noted, “almost 300 women were serving on police forces in over 200 cities, many of them acting as quasi social workers.” Victims of street harassment also were encouraged to prosecute men who had tormented them, despite the notoriety a public court appearance might bring.

Interestingly, public outrage over mashers seemed to decline significantly after women got the vote in 1920. As Freedman observed, “In the new sexual era taking shape, public flirtation ceased to be as offensive as it had once been.” Movies popularized the adventurous flapper, while radio stations filled the airwaves with titillating songs about flirting. At the same time, “a more aggressive ideal of manhood was replacing the chivalrous protector and the respectful gentleman of the late Victorian era,” she said. “Guardians of street morality seemed outdated . . . The street pickup became comic and normative.”

It wasn’t until the women’s liberation movement of the 1960s and ’70s that mashing again became a matter of public interest – only by this time the behavior had a new name: street harassment. As with the anti-masher movement, outrage over street harassment emerged at a time when more women were venturing into historically male spaces. And just as at the turn of the century, “Fighting back physically and legally represented a forum of female resistance to sexual threats,” Freedman said, “and insistence on full economic and political citizenship.”

A graduate of Barnard College and Columbia University, Freedman specializes in women’s history and feminist studies. She has taught at Stanford since 1976 and is currently a Faculty Fellow at the Clayman Institute for Gender Research. Freedman has just been awarded a Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship for next year that will allow her to complete her book, which is tentatively titled “The Political Response to Rape: Gender, Race, and Sexual Violence, 1870-1930.”

http://gender.stanford.edu/news/2011/smashing-masher-early-womens-m...

The scars of hate: How Bangladesh has sharply cut acid attacks
Jan. 12, 2013
Andrew Biraj/Reuters Rubina, a survivor of an acid attack, takes part in an awareness rally about violence against women.
by Raveena Aulakh, Staff Reporter, The Star

DHAKA, BANGLADESH—Shameema Akter has a recurring nightmare of the night she lost her face.

She was sleeping in her parents’ house, close to a window, when she felt something splash on her, followed by an agonizing pain as her skin bubbled and sizzled. Bits of skin on her face started coming off, her nose and her right ear began disintegrating, her clothes were evaporating. She screamed until she passed out.

It was an acid attack.

“I don’t look at mirrors but every time I touch my nose or my ear, it comes back,” she says. Despite multiple reconstructive surgeries, her skin remains marked and stretchy. It itches perpetually.

Akter was attacked on Sept. 14, 1996. She had just turned 14.

READ MORE: Girl killed in acid attack for looking at a boy, say parents: ‘It was her destiny to die this way’

She is sitting in the grim reception room for a women’s hostel in Dhanmondi, an upscale Dhaka neighbourhood. The paint on the walls — inside and out — is peeling, the lights are dim and the only couch is falling apart.

A tentative smile comes to Akter’s scarred face when she hears that acid attacks in Bangladesh are decreasing. “I will live with this for the rest of my life . . . but I’m glad fewer people have to.”

She goes back to looking at photos of herself when she was pretty, confident and smiled.

Acid attacks are usually the result of domestic disputes, dowry demands, land quarrels or revenge. In many cases, they are a form of gender-based violence, perhaps because a young woman has spurned a marriage proposal or sexual advances. About 70 per cent of victims are women; half are under age 18.

The attacks are common in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Afghanistan as well as in Cambodia, Uganda and Colombia.

But nowhere were they as rampant as in Bangladesh.

According to the Acid Survivors’ Foundation, there have been more than 3,000 incidents since 1999. The worst year was 2002, with almost 500 reported attacks from Dhaka and villages across Bangladesh. The number has since dwindled: there were 91 acid assaults in 2011 and 71 in 2012.

In contrast, Indian media reports suggest acid attacks in that country are steadily rising while New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof recently reported that acid attacks in Pakistan have hit an all-time high. (There are no official statistics for such attacks in India and Pakistan.)

So how did Bangladesh, one of the world’s most populated and poorest countries, do what its richer neighbours could not?

Tougher punishment, more control on acid and media awareness, says Farina Ahmed of the Acid Survivors’ Foundation.

In 2002, the Bangladesh government, bowing to pressure from NGOs, passed two laws. One sped up trials and the other tightened regulations on the use, storage and sale of acid.

Those accused of acid attacks are now held without bail, their trials usually occur within a year — down from up to a decade — and the sentencing is harsher. Recorded acid attacks have since decreased about 15 per cent every year.

“It just seemed like the easiest way to wreck a life . . . just throw acid on someone because of a perceived wrong,” says Ahmed. “But this legislation has really helped. People are getting tough sentences and that has been a deterrent.”

But critically, women spoke up, refused to cower and hide what happened to them, says Pius Rozario of Prothom Alo, a leading Bengali-language daily newspaper in Dhaka. “I think that was the most important aspect of this fight back. They were brave enough to stand up and fight for justice.”

The newspaper started a trust in 2000 to help victims of acid attacks and has helped 300 people to date. The paper has also written dozens of stories and collaborated on public education campaigns.

The public clamour for change was similar to what has followed the recent rape, beating and death of a 23-year-old student on a New Delhi bus. Protesters in India are demanding fast-track courts and tougher sentences — although long-standing demands in India for officials to get tough on acid assaults have achieved little.

Rozario cautions that not everything is “rosy” in Bangladesh. There are still acid attacks. It still takes time for victims to get justice. And procuring acid still isn’t difficult.

In 1996, when Akter was attacked by her husband, she did not even know what acid was or the havoc it could wreak.

She lived with her parents in a village in Jhenaidah district, 300 kilometres from capital Dhaka. A few weeks before she turned 14, her parents married her to a 35-year-old man from a neighbouring village. Akter says the first few days went well: she showed off her wedding clothes to her new family, tried her hand at cooking and played with the chickens in the yard.

On the third night, she says her husband came into the bedroom, tore off her clothes and raped her.

“I was so young . . . I did not know what was happening,” she says through a Bengali interpreter. She told her mother-in-law the next morning, who advised her to “shut up.”

Akter was terrified when she went to sleep that night. Once again, her husband came in and raped her.

She returned to her father’s house the same week. Her husband came to take her back but she refused.

A couple of weeks later, she was sleeping in the living room and the window was open. Her husband climbed in and threw a container of acid on her face.

Akter has had 13 surgeries, including two in India. She is blind in the right eye and deaf in the right ear. Her nose, which had disintegrated, is new and crooked. The entire right side of her face is burned.

Her husband was arrested months after the attack and was out on bail for years, says Akter. He was finally sentenced in 2006, getting a 43 years.

Akter is satisfied with the tough sentence but wonders, yet again, why it had to be her face. “If it hadn’t been my face, maybe it wouldn’t have been so bad. Maybe I could have led a normal life.”

In Bangladesh, a women’s face is seen as sacred, her disfigurement is considered a public mark of shame, making it hard for her to get married or work. She becomes a financial and social burden on the family and, in many cases, spends her life indoors, isolated and hidden.

The country is one of the world’s major exporters of textiles. Even in remote regions, sulphuric acid used to produce colourful dyes was easy to obtain.

In South Asia, acid is also used as a cleaning agent and is easily available in stores. It costs less than $1 to wreck a life.

For some men, it is the perfect revenge. Ahmed says the mindset is “If she won’t have me, I won’t let anyone else have her. I won’t let her have any life.”

Akter didn’t have a life — until recently.

For two years after the attack, Akter’s mother cared for her at home. The Acid Survivors’ Foundation paid for a number of surgeries but she was isolated, depressed and considered suicide.

Then she started learning to sew and stitch from her mother, a seamstress. Despite partial blindness, Akter spent hours at a small sewing machine, experimenting with cuts and designs.

A year ago, she arrived in Dhaka. She had been admitted into a local polytechnic for a two-year fashion design diploma on a scholarship.

Ten years ago, survivors hid in shame, afraid to speak out.

Things have changed, says Dr. Sanjoy Biswas. He works at the hospital run by the Acid Survivors’ Foundation in Dhaka’s Banani neighbourhood. The hospital is a drab, three-storey former house, its sprawling bedrooms converted into wards.

There are no signs and most neighbours are unaware of the occupants.

“We don’t want anyone to come and harass these people who have already gone through so much,” he says. “Social workers know where we are, how to get in touch with us when there is a case.”

Biswas says the hospital, which treats almost all acid attack survivors in Bangladesh, is the only one of its kind in the world.

Through the foundation, victims are sent out of the country for plastic surgery and to get mental health treatment and employment opportunities.

At any given time, the hospital is home to at least a dozen people. Many were attacked years ago, even during the ’60s and ’70s, and never received care. Biswas says the hospital has never turned anyone away.

When Lilima Khatun first came to the hospital in 2004, she was skeptical that anyone could help her.

She is now in her 30s but was an 8-year-old in 1988 in an isolated village in Jessore district when she said no to a neighbour’s marriage proposal. He retaliated by throwing acid on her face a couple of days later.

(Child marriage is illegal but girls are married as young as 9 or 10 in rural Bangladesh, according to activists.)

Khatun got little help after the attack. Someone poured water on her and a doctor gave her some medication. She lived with searing pain for almost three decades. When she came to the hospital four years ago, her lips sagged, her facial skin was scorched and still hurt. She had no eyebrows, no eyelashes and was blind in one eye.

Biswas says he doesn’t know how anyone could have lived for so long with that kind of pain.

Doctors have performed multiple surgeries and Khatun says she is beginning to recognize herself in the mirror again. “I am so glad I came here. I had given up hope on ever getting rid of this pain.”

Khatun, a diminutive woman in a purple outfit, now works full time for the foundation, counselling other victims and speaks out against acid attacks.

Biswas says the hospital is now seeing cases where children, even boys, have been attacked with acid.

Durjoy, now 7, was a few weeks old when an aunt fed him acid because she feared losing her inheritance to him. Even though he was clearly sick, his family and a doctor didn’t understand what was wrong with him. Eventually, says Biswas, he was brought to the hospital.

The acid caused so much damage that his neck was fused to his chest, his lips and mouth were severely burnt, and he could only be drip-fed. The boy had multiple surgeries in Hong Kong.

“He still needs a feeding tube but I am so glad we saved him,” says Biswas. “I hope he can have a normal life one day, as possible as it is.”

Normal life is almost impossible for most acid attack victims.

Shabana Begum, a petite 24-year-old who works as a makeup artist for NTV, a private TV channel in Dhaka, may have come closest.

She was attacked with acid by her first husband in 2000 because his younger brother’s wife got pregnant while Begum didn’t. Begum saw something coming and moved out of the way when he threw the acid at her. The right side of her neck and her shoulder were burned but her face was unscathed.

While she was getting treatment, she met Rashadul Hasan, a 34-year-old with burn marks on his face. Begum says he was attacked by the mother of a young woman who he was in love with.

“I never thought I would get married again but then I met him. We understood each other’s pain.”

The two married in 2010.

Akter, meanwhile, does not believe she will ever find that kind of peace or happiness.

“Look, I don’t really care. All I want to do is design pretty clothes and see the day when there are zero (acid) attacks in my country.

“That is all I want, all that makes me happy.”

How it hurts

• The most commonly available acids used in attacks in South Asia are hydrochloric, sulfuric and nitric acid.

• Deaths are rare but the Acid Survivors’ Trust International said there were at least two in the past five months, one in Cambodia, the other in Pakistan.

• It takes about five seconds of contact to cause superficial burns. Within 30 seconds, there are full-thickness burns.

• If not washed off immediately acid continues to burn; it can eventually cause skeletal damage and organ failure.

• If dead skin is not removed within a week, new skin may grow and cause further facial deformities. Burned skin tissue around the neck and armpit can impair movement unless removed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1313848--the-scars-of-hat...

Woman Escapes Attempted Kidnapping: Cops
By R. Stickney, Jan 15, 2013
NBC 7 San Diego

San Diego police officers interview the victim and witnesses near the KFC in San Ysidro.
advertisement Click here to find out more!

San Diego police are looking for a man in the attempted kidnapping of a woman in San Ysidro Monday.

A man driving an older model van with Baja California plates pulled alongside the woman who was walking near Tequila Way and Dairy Mart Road around 10 p.m.

The woman told police the man tried to pull her inside of the vehicle.

The victim fought back and escaped to a nearby fast food restaurant where she called police.

The van is described as blue with a gray stripe down the side.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call San Diego police (619) 531-2000 or (858) 484-3154.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Woman-Escapes-Attempted-Kidna...

Kidnapped Woman Escapes Abductor
by Linda Watkins-Bennett
Published: 1/11 2:44 pm

A Colusa man is behind bars for allegedly kidnapping a woman and her 3 year old son, and holding them hostage for ten days.

Police say the victim managed to escape with her child Thursday night, while 35-year-old Jermaine Roberts was sleeping.

Investigators say it started New Years Eve when the woman was parked outside a friend’s home with her son sleeping in the back seat.
Roberts allegedly forced her at knife point to drive to his home, and that the first time she tried to escape ... he caught her and severely beat her.

Police say Roberts fled but was taken into custody after he was found hiding in a nearby home.

He once dated the victim, but that relationship reportedly ended months ago.

http://www.khsltv.com/content/localnews/story/Kidnapped-Woman-Escap...

Warrawong woman escapes naked intruder
By EMMA SPILLETT
Jan. 10, 2013

A naked intruder broke into a woman's unit and threatened to have sex with her before taking a shower in her bathroom, Wollongong Local Court has heard.

Wayne Jones, who was naked except for a pair of slippers, smashed a window to get inside the woman's Warrawong apartment and yelled: "I'm gonna come f--- you" as she fled in fear.

Jones, who pleaded guilty to the incident yesterday, later told police he had been watching her and intended to return to her apartment when he was released from jail, the court was told.

The 55-year-old had been smoking cannabis and drinking when he went to the victim's unit about 1am on October 9 last year.

He started banging on her door before he went to her window and smashed the glass with his fist.

When he entered the room, he told the woman he was going to have sex with her.

She managed to escape and call triple-0 while Jones wandered around the apartment, looking for her.

He noticed his hands were bleeding so he decided to have a shower, the court heard.

Police soon arrived and found Jones inside the unit.
See your ad here

He later admitted to breaking into the woman's apartment, punching the glass and then using a floor mat to soften his landing as he entered her home.

Jones, of Port Kembla, pleaded guilty yesterday to aggravated breaking and entering with intent.

The matter was adjourned for sentence to Wollongong District Court on February 8.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1226168/warrawong-woman-es...

Kidnapped Girl Escapes, Rescued Early Tuesday in Philadelphia
January 15, 2013 | Posted by Kevin Webb

A young girl abducted from her elementary school escaped her captors early Tuesday morning, ending a night-long search in Philadelphia for the missing child. Na’illa Robinson, 5, was found at about 4:40 a.m. near a playground on 69th Street, rescued by a man who heard her screams as he walked by. Na’illa was signed out and taken from her school on Monday morning by an unknown woman, but it was not until the students were dismissed for the day that the girl was identified as missing.

When she was found, the young girl was wearing only a T-shirt, taking shelter from cold weather and heavy rain beneath a jungle gym. When the passerby found her, she told him “I ran away, I ran away from the people who took me.”

Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood told Philly.com that police will  focus on finding the kidnappers, now that Na’illa is safe.

Philadelphia police had announced a $10,000 reward for the child’s safe return on Monday night. The woman who took the girl out of school signed in as “Tiffany,” but the name is believed to be a fake. District officials said that according to protocol, any adult who removes a child from class must show identification and be verified as a parent or guardian. Those security measures were not taken on Monday morning.

Chitwood believes that Robinson’s abductors are likely based in the 69 Street-area where Na’illa was found. Police who picked the five-year-old up at the scene did not immediately interview her, instead choosing to have her treated and checked for any harm done.

“If she ran away, she ran away right in that area,” Chitwood told Philly.com. “A child is not going to be able to go that far. It had to be an animal to do something like this, to abduct a child and leave her in the park with just a T-shirt.”

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/01/15/missing-girl-rescued-early-t...

Girl Escapes From Would-Be Kidnapper In Moreno Valley
January 11, 2013

MORENO VALLEY (CBS) — Authorities are searching for a man who tried to kidnap a young girl as she was sitting on her bicycle in the 13000 block of Wichita Way.

The attempted abduction took place around 1:10 p.m. on Jan. 10 when the man grabbed the child, according to the Moreno Valley Police Department.

The girl was able to escape and the suspect, who was described as a six-foot-tall black adult with a light complexion, ran away. He’s believed to be in his 20s or 30s.

The Moreno Valley Police Department is reminding parents and children to be vigilant and not to speak to or accept anything from a stranger.

Any suspicious behavior or activity should be reported to the Moreno Valley Police Department at (951)247-8700. Anyone with information about the crime was asked to contact Det. Tinker at the Moreno Valley Police Department at the same number.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/01/11/girl-escapes-from-would-b...

Girl escapes from attacker
Suffolk Free Press, 9 January 2013

Police are hunting a man who assaulted a 16-year-old girl in Sudbury.

The incident took place at around 6.30pm on Tuesday in Tudor Road when the girl was approached by a man while walking her dog across a playing field.

The man tried to speak with the girl and, as she walked passed him, he grabbed the back of her coat.

The girl managed to struggle free and ran home. She was unhurt.

The man is described as white, of slim build, in his mid-30s and with very short, dark hair. He was wearing a black hooded top with a logo on the front and a pair of dark-coloured glasses.

Police want to hear from anyone who witnessed the assault or recognises the man described. Call Pc Lucy Rout at Sudbury Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

http://www.suffolkfreepress.co.uk/news/latest-news/girl-escapes-fro...

Girl Escapes Attempted Abduction
by Jessica McMaster, Jan. 11 2013

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – A girl escaped an attempted abduction in Grand Rapids Wednesday.

According to the Grand Rapids Police Department, An 11-year-old girl was walking near the intersection of Eastern Avenue and Hazen Street SE, when a man allegedly grabbed her. As the suspect was dragging her in to his truck, she managed to escape.

The girl then ran to a safe location where she called the police.

The victim said the suspect had a tattoo of a guitar on one of his hands. She said the skinny part of the guitar was on a finger and the bigger part extended onto the top of his hand. The suspect was reported as driving a blue Dodge Ram truck.

Anyone with information is asked to call the GRPD at 616-456-3604 or Silent Observer at 616-774-2345.

Read more at: http://fox17online.com/2013/01/11/girls-escapes-attempted-abduction...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Violence Prevention List

Click here for violence prevention list

Click on rose

Events

© 2020   Created by ROSE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service