The women and girls who escape or survive an assault know, or know something about, who the harassers, rapists, batterers and serial killers are. Survivors also give us insights into how to resist. A better understanding is needed about how acting from one's emotion, voice, persistence, ingenuity and training, but above all the use of multiple active strategies can protect women and girls.

I will be posting information here from news articles.

If you have any articles or insights to add your help would be deeply appreciated!

Woman Tells Of Escape From Alleged Serial Killer

CBC  |  Posted: 06/26/2012 1:14 pm Updated: 06/26/2012 3:44 pm

A Winnipeg woman who claims she was attacked by alleged serial killer Shawn Lamb says she is lucky to be alive — but she's angry that police didn't seem to care when she tipped them off about his violent behaviour.

It was a frigid January night earlier this year when 29-year-old Denise, a sex-trade worker who lived on the streets and sold her body in exchange for crack cocaine, was looking for a warm place to get high.

She knocked at the door of her friend's apartment suite. The friend wasn't home but a neighbour, Shawn Lamb, was. Denise says he invited her inside and they shared some crack that she had just scored.

But he wanted more, said Denise, who didn't want her last name published.

"He was forcing himself on me and I fought him off me and I told him if he don't let me out of this house that I'm going to smash up your house," she said, adding her street survival instincts took over.

"Forget this I'm not going to let this guy do this to me — rape me. I'm not going to let this guy do this because I have been through this so many times on the street and out there I'm a fighter."

She says she fought him off, screaming, kicking, punching, and escaped, running out the door and down the stairs.

Shortly after that she entered a sobriety program, in part because of the disappearance of her friend Carolyn Sinclair, whose body was found near a city dumpster in March.

Like Denise, Sinclair was battling a drug addiction and worked in the sex trade to support her habit.

On Monday, Winnipeg police announced that Lamb, 52, is charged with three counts of second-degree murder in connection to the deaths of women reported missing within the last year.

One of those is Sinclair, who was 25.

The others are Tanya Jane Nepinak, 31, and Lorna Blacksmith, 18.

Lengthy record

Lamb, who is originally from Ontario, has an extensive criminal record extending across four provinces.

Since 1979, he has had 109 convictions in Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba. In the latter, Lamb has 45 convictions since 2002 for everything from robbery to forgery, fraud, and uttering threats.

Most recently he was charged with sexual assault in May and again this month. When Lamb was picked up on June 21, that was when police say they learned of his alleged connection to the three homicides.

The news of Lamb's arrest angered Denise, who says she has been sober since her January encounter with the alleged serial killer.

After Sinclair's body was found, Denise and others told police about Lamb's violent behavior and their suspicions he could have something to do with missing women cases.

"I had a gut feeling [he might have been involved]. I thought, 'Oh my God.' I was enraged. My stomach was twisted," Denise said.

But police officers just shrugged her off, she said. She never filed a formal complaint with police.

"It made me feel enraged, as if my voice wasn't heard and it wasn't looked upon and other people made reports of him too," she said.

But Denise said she is relieved she did not become another homicide statistic.

"I thank God every day for letting me live, for letting me survive that [encounter]," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/06/26/mb-sex-assa...

Please read this study (attachment below) about reducing sexual assault of women students by taking a series of workshops in women's self defense.

Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women
New England Journal of Medicine, 2015

Views: 2965

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

British woman escapes after being 'kidnapped and raped' by three men in Italy

Mamadou Jallow is held in Italy with two other men after their alleged victim manages to escape and call her family for help.

UK, 24 April 2018

Three men have been arrested in Italy after a British woman they allegedly held as a sex slave and repeatedly abused managed to escape, police have said.

The 39-year-old woman, originally from the north of England, is said to have found herself held captive at an isolated house in the southwestern commune of Rosarno, Calabria.

She had travelled there with Mamadou Jallow, who she originally met on Facebook.

When they arrived in the country, 37-year-old Jallow allegedly emptied her bank account, stole her phone and took her prisoner.

He then repeatedly raped her and allowed another two men to abuse her over the course of a fortnight.

Eventually she was able to get hold of her phone and call her family for help.

They had already contacted Interpol, having not heard from her for several months.
Mamadou Jallow is arrested. Pic: Polizia di Stato
Image: Police took Jallow and two other men into custody. Pic: Polizia di Stato

Police traced the call to the house and called her phone, convincing her to flee and giving directions to safety. Officers were said to have found her in a "terrible state".

She told them she had originally gone to Germany for a face-to-face meeting with Jallow, but the pair fled the country after he stabbed a rival during a dispute over drugs.

Police have now arrested Jallow, originally from Burkino Faso, on suspicion of kidnapping, enslavement, aggravated and continued sexual violence, and theft.

https://news.sky.com/story/british-woman-escapes-after-being-kidnap...

Burbank police are investigating an attempted sexual assault late Sunday night, in which the victim was able to escape her attacker with help from a neighbor. (WLS)
Monday, April 30, 2018
BURBANK, Ill. (WLS) --
Burbank police are investigating an attempted sexual assault late Sunday night, in which the victim was able to escape her attacker with help from a neighbor.

Police said the victim was returning to her home in the 7800-block of Laporte Avenue around 11:15 p.m. Sunday. The victim told police she saw a black male walking northbound on the west side of the street. She said when she got out of her car she saw the same man running towards her.

The victim told police she was attempting to flee in the opposite direction, but the suspect tackled her from behind and attempted to sexually assault her.

Police said the victim began yelling and trying to fight off her attacker. She was also able to use her car key fob to activate her car alarm.

The noise woke a neighbor, who came to the victim's aid.

"She said there was screaming and she heard the victim's Jeep going off," said the son of the Good Samaritan, who did not want to be identified.

"Me open the door, 'What happened, what happened, what happened?'" said Rahieleh, the Good Samaritan.

Rahieleh said her young next door neighbor was laying there, half-naked and crying.

"As she walks outside she sees a male black wearing all black on top of the victim," her son said.

As the neighbor tried to help her the suspect fled northbound towards 78th Street, police said. Police said witnesses saw him running through an opening in fencing along the businesses to the east.

Police were not able to find the suspect.

The victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment and then released. She described her attacker as a black male with a dark complexion and short or shaved hair, 20 to 25 years old, 5 ft. 5 in. to 5 ft. 7 in. tall and between 130 and 150 lbs. She said he was wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt, sport shorts with a gray stripe and may have been carrying a backpack.

The victim was able to provide police with enough information for them to release a sketch of the suspect.

Burbank police also said they are investigating the possibility that the attack may be connected to a sexual assault in October of last year, given the similarities. That victim spoke exclusively with ABC7 Eyewitness News, saying "I'm not going to be okay for a while but, you know, time heals everything."

http://abc7chicago.com/woman-escapes-attempted-rapist-in-burbank-po...

Woman escapes attempted kidnapping in Salt Lake City; man booked into jail

by McKenzie Stauffer, Sept 9, 2018

A man was arrested allegedly attempting to kidnap a 28-year-old woman in Salt Lake City. (Photo: KUTV)

(KUTV) -- A man was arrested for allegedly attempting to kidnap a woman, according to the Salt Lake City Police Department.

Ousamane Camara, 28, struck the victim across the face several times as she was walking northbound near 996 S. Redwood Road.

The suspect then dragged the victim across Redwood Road into the parking lot of the African Market.

A few bystanders saw what was happening and intervened.

When officers arrived on scene, they took Camara into custody.

He was booked into jail for kidnapping and assault.

The victim was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to police.

https://kutv.com/news/local/woman-escapes-attempted-kidnapping-in-s...

Huntersville woman used pepper spray to thwart attempted kidnapping

By: Elsa Gillis, Sep 6, 2018

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. - A woman was standing behind a Huntersville grocery store Tuesday night when police said a man tried to kidnap her.

Police said the victim, who was standing outside the Food Lion on Statesville Road, used pepper spray on the man and then got in her car and drove away.

Tim Stone, who hangs around the area a lot, told Channel 9 that it’s not unusual to see people walking through that part of the shopping center, especially at night.

“A lot of people, they cut through here from the apartments,” Stone said.

Police are searching the area for video footage, trying to get more information about what happened and about the man.

Police asked Eddie Passiglia, the general manager at the Little Caesar’s, if they had security cameras.

Passiglia said it’s a crime that has him worried.

"We're open late, and I employ females, who are here late at night as well, so it's definitely a concern,” Passiglia said. “You know, I make sure that their vehicles are parked on the side and that somebody goes with them."

Huntersville police couldn't say whether the victim was a Food Lion employee or not.

They are still trying to get a suspect description

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/woman-escapes-attempted-kidnapper...

Abducted woman escapes from moving car in Whangarei
20 Aug, 2018

A young woman was pulled into a black ute as she walked along Manapouri St at the junction with Corks Rd.

NZ Herald

A young woman managed to escape from a moving car after she was grabbed while walking along a Whangarei road yesterday.

Detective Senior Sergeant John Clayton said a young woman was pulled into a black ute as she walked along Manapouri St at the junction with Corks Rd in Tikipunga about 1pm yesterday.

The girl was able to free herself and escaped from the vehicle whilst it was still moving.

A driver who witnessed the incident stopped to help the young girl.

Clayton said police we would like to hear from the driver.

Clayton said they also believed the same vehicle may have been involved in an altercation outside the Tikipunga shops at the intersection of Kiripaka and Spedding Roads where the ute may have received minor damage, later the same day.

Police have arrested and charged a man in relation to the first incident but would like to hear from anyone who has information about either incident.

If you have any information that could help our investigation, please contact Detective Bradshaw at Whangarei Police on (09) 430 4500.

Alternatively, information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=...

California woman says she escaped Lyft driver who was taking her in opposite direction
"It became a fight or flight situation," said Brittney Sundquist about a Lyft ride she took.
by Kate Larsen, August 27, 2018

OAKLAND, Calif. --

"It became a fight or flight situation," said Brittney Sundquist about a Lyft ride she took Friday morning. "I was no longer in control and it was a situation that I needed to quickly escape from."

The 27-year-old artist said she ordered a Lyft from a bar in Oakland, California, at 2:04 a.m. Friday.

The Lyft app said she should have arrived at her home in East Oakland 14 minutes later, "but for whatever reason, the driver veered off of the destination that he was given, which was my home and was driving me deeper and deeper into an isolated and desolate area of the Oakland hills that I'm unfamiliar with."

Sundquist said she doesn't remember the details of her escape or any interactions with the Lyft driver but said she escaped from his car and ran through a wooded area of the Oakland Hills.

Unsure of where she was, Sundquist ordered another Lyft at 2:38 a.m.

"I feel like you don't know how you're going to react in these types of situations until they happen to you."

Sundquist filed a report with the Oakland Police Department and has been in touch with Lyft.

She said the rideshare company has been very helpful since the incident and that she plans on riding with Lyft in the future.

The rideshare company sent ABC11's sister station ABC7 a statement, which read:

"What is being described is horrific. We have reached out to the passenger to extend our full support and the driver has been permanently banned from the Lyft platform. We stand ready to assist law enforcement with their investigation."

"I've heard of other incidents like this," said Amanda Wood, who is Sundquist's roommate and also happens to be a Lyft driver. "As a female driver, there's been times I've started to question, am I safe, am I comfortable with this passenger."

In an effort to improve ride share safety, Wood and Sundquist started a petition, asking Lyft and Uber to give passengers the option of requesting a female driver.

https://abc11.com/woman-escapes-lyft-driver-who-she-says-took-her-i...

"Like the devil walked in": woman escapes assault, kidnapping when suspect falls asleep

Posted: Aug 17 2018

Video Posted: Aug 17 2018

DETROIT (WJBK) - A Detroit woman and her baby were kidnapped at gunpoint after her ex-boyfriend dragged her down a flight of stairs and assaulted her multiple times.

Nyree Henderson thought her life was over. She was sleeping in her upstairs room with her one-year-old in the same room when her ex-boyfriend broke into the home through her kitchen window.

When she first saw him, she thought she wouldn't leave the room alive.

"He just walks into this house with latex gloves on. and my thought was 'I'm not about about to make it out of this room, this was it'," Henderson said.
photo

Her ex-boyfriend, who has not been named by police, was standing there, looking at her. They talked for a few minutes and he pulled a weapon and she thought she knew what would happen next.

"There was nothing anybody could do. It was like the devil walked into the house," she said.

She was assaulted multiple times, with visible wounds to her eye, forehead, and her teeth.

"My adrenaline was rushing so fast, so I didn't even feel him hit me in my mouth, kick me in (the eye)," she said.

She was assaulted multiple times, dragged down the flight of stairs, and all with her one-year-old in her arms.

"Dragged me out of the house with the gun to my head, pulled me down the stairs, pulled me out the house. my friend's brother actually ran up to him like 'what are you doing' but he didn't see the gun in his hand. he showed it to him like 'back up'," Henderson said.

He dragged her all the way down to a house about a mile-and-a-half away and kept her in a home there for about 45 minutes or an hour. She finally was able to escape when he made a mistake.

"He went to sleep," she said.

The Detroit Police Department says a warrant has been submitted for aggravated felonious assault and kidnapping. They are not releasing his name but ask anyone who knows what may have happened to call 1-800-SPEAK-UP.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/-like-the-devil-walked-i...

Border agent suspected of being serial killer arrested in Laredo after 5th victim escapes
Authorities were led to Ortiz after a woman who accused him of trying to kidnap her escaped from him

Sept 16, 2018

Updated at 8:06 p.m. with more details, including the identities of two of the victims.

A border agent in South Texas has been arrested by authorities hunting a serial killer who's terrorized women in the Laredo area this month.

Juan David Ortiz, was taken into custody early Saturday morning, Webb County Sheriff Martin Cuellar said at a news conference.

He faces four counts of murder and one count of aggravated kidnapping, authorities said.

"The county, the city can rest assured we have the serial killer in custody," Webb County Sheriff Martin Cuellar said, according to the Laredo Morning Times.

Ortiz, a 10-year veteran of U.S. Customs and Border Protection and a supervisor in the department, fled from state troopers and hid in the parking lot of Hotel Ava in Laredo, where he was arrested, authorities said.

Update: Juan David Ortiz confessed to all four homicides. He is a nine-year veteran of Border Patrol, according to Webb County DA. Still waiting on statement from BP.

This would be the second homicide investigation in Webb involving a border patrol agent from the Laredo sector.

Authorities were led to Ortiz after a woman who accused him of trying to kidnap her escaped from him, according to Webb County District Attorney Isidro Alaniz.

He's suspected of killing four women and abducting a fifth. Two of the victims were found earlier this month along Interstate 35 in rural northwest Webb County, the Morning Times reports.

The third and fourth were found this weekend in the same area. Two of the victims have been identified, according to the Morning Times: 29-year-old Melissa Ramirez, a mother of two from Laredo; and 42-year-old Claudine Anne Luera, who died later at a hospital.

Officials said she had head trauma but offered no further details.

Alaniz told The Associated Press that all the women worked as prostitutes. Authorities are still trying to determine a motive for the killings. Officials said they were all killed in a similar manner but did not provide details.

The Texas Rangers and Webb County sheriff have been investigating the killings, with help from the Laredo police.

"We want to reassure the citizens of Laredo that the community and your families are safe," Laredo police said in a written statement. "There has been a recent breakthrough in the investigations and there has been someone detained."

Andrew Meehan, assistant commissioner for public affairs for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, issued a statement about the case.

"Our sincerest condolences go out to the victims' family and friends. While it is CBP policy to not comment on the details of an ongoing investigation, criminal action by our employees is not, and will not be tolerated," Meehan said, according to AP.

Meehan said said his agency's Office of Professional Responsibility, the U.S. Border Patrol and the Department of Homeland Security Office of the Inspector General are fully cooperating with all investigators, the AP reported.

Ortiz is the second border agent from the Laredo sector accused of multiple murders this year.

Ronald Anthony Burgos-Aviles, 28, reported finding the bodies of 27-year-old Grizelda Hernandez and her 1-year-old son, Dominick Alexander Hernandez near a rural park in South Texas.

Burgos-Aviles and Hernandez had been in a romantic relationship, and he was later arrested on two counts of capital murder, police said at the time.

The Associated Press and Laredo Morning Times contributed to this report.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2018/09/15/border-agent-suspe...

These Moncton Entrepreneurs Started A Cab Company For Women, Children and Seniors
Nov 5, 2018, by Inda Intiar

Mireille Fougère and Melissa Goguen next to their cab. Image: Inda Intiar/Huddle

MONCTON – Mireille Fougère has driven cabs for three years and has had her fair share of horrifying experiences. Now she and her friend Melissa Goguen want to make sure passengers are safe with their new company, Pink Cab, which caters primarily to women, seniors and children.

“I’ve been assaulted [while on duty]. The father of a young man who threw up in my car – I went to collect the rate to clean the car – and he assaulted me. I had to call the police. They didn’t do anything,” Fougère said, recounting a story where the man broke her phone and squeezed her hand so hard, her nails broke and she bled.

Another time, a man pushed Fougère, resulting in her knee being scraped and her ankle twisted. She’s also heard from passengers who were in cabs where the driver smokes marijuana while driving, follow women to their apartment, and drive recklessly with children in the car.

“People don’t like it. So they know in my car they’re safe,” she said.

Taxicabs in Moncton are governed by city by-laws. Anyone who owns a taxi company and/or drives a taxicab has to be licensed by the city. The city requires proof the driver hasn’t lost more than six points on their driver’s license within the year prior to the application. Drivers must also provide Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector search. They must provide an updated check if the city requests it.

Drivers also have a dress code to follow, as well as standards of cleanliness based on the by-laws. Their licenses will be suspended or revoked if they break liquor, drugs and substances and criminal laws. Dangerous offenders, even those who have been pardoned, are not eligible for a license.

Despite such regulations, safety issues in taxicabs seem to come up often in the discussions Goguen and Fougère would have over the years that they’ve been friends. Goguen said she’s heard many of these “scary” stories from Fougère, who sometimes also uses taxi services.

Goguen, who owns Vintage Beauty by Melissa, also saw a good business opportunity. And so, they launched Pink Cab about three weeks ago.

“It seems the topic is brought up often and then finally, we just decided to go with it,” Goguen said. “I knew she loves driving, so it just made sense to do this for people to make them feel safer. And it’s just an exciting project that would be fun to venture out and it would be cool.”

The name Pink Cab reflects that the company is “female-based,” said Goguen, the owner of the business. It shows that it caters primarily to women, and those who are more vulnerable, such as seniors and the transgender population, Fougère added.

Customers expressed their satisfaction with Pink Cab through reviews on the company’s Facebook page.

“I had the pleasure of using pink cab Saturday night on my way home and my experience was fantastic. For a one-driver operation, I’m incredibly impressed by the service level and how quick and friendly my diver [sic] was. Rates were perfect and I felt safer in her cab. Would recommend to anyone!” one review read.

Parents who have used Pink Cab’s service also liked the idea, saying they’d recommend it to their daughters who may need a cab after a night out. The company also offers four seats for young children upon request for an additional $3.50. But Pink Cab has also picked up men.

“A majority of our clients that are calling us are women,” Goguen said. “But we don’t refuse service to anyone…as long as the driver feels safe to pick up everyone.”

While the cab isn’t retrofitted for a motorized wheelchair, Fougère said the car can take wheelchairs that can be folded or disassembled.

With overwhelming support from the community, the one-car operation could expand faster than it initially planned, Goguen said.

“It’s hard to gauge it right now because we’re brand new. But once we get to the point where we can’t keep up, we’re going to add as the demand grows, I guess,” she said.

If that happens, Goguen and Fougère plan to supply the cars so the whole fleet looks the same and stays on brand. They also plan to hire women drivers who know the city. Goguen is also looking at possibly having an online order system in place as Pink Cab expands. For now, customers can only order via phone.

Pink Cab doesn’t charge the $1 debit fee for customers. It also does deliveries for restaurants with the meter starting at $7.

Fougère said she’s happy that she’s able to provide a safer taxi experience for her customers. But she said the safety situation in taxicabs is frustrating.

“I don’t find it horrifying, I find it frustrating. I can hold my own. I’m not scared in my cab. But for a lady to feel uncomfortable in a cab, it’s unprofessional. That’s why we’re doing this,” she said.
Facebook

https://huddle.today/these-moncton-entrepreneurs-started-a-cab-comp...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Violence Prevention List

Click here for violence prevention list

Click on rose

Events

© 2018   Created by ROSE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service