The women and girls who escape or survive an assault know, or know something about, who the harassers, rapists, batterers and serial killers are. Survivors also give us insights into how to resist. A better understanding is needed about how acting from one's emotion, voice, persistence, ingenuity and training, but above all the use of multiple active strategies can protect women and girls.

I will be posting information here from news articles.

If you have any articles or insights to add your help would be deeply appreciated!

Woman Tells Of Escape From Alleged Serial Killer

CBC  |  Posted: 06/26/2012 1:14 pm Updated: 06/26/2012 3:44 pm

A Winnipeg woman who claims she was attacked by alleged serial killer Shawn Lamb says she is lucky to be alive — but she's angry that police didn't seem to care when she tipped them off about his violent behaviour.

It was a frigid January night earlier this year when 29-year-old Denise, a sex-trade worker who lived on the streets and sold her body in exchange for crack cocaine, was looking for a warm place to get high.

She knocked at the door of her friend's apartment suite. The friend wasn't home but a neighbour, Shawn Lamb, was. Denise says he invited her inside and they shared some crack that she had just scored.

But he wanted more, said Denise, who didn't want her last name published.

"He was forcing himself on me and I fought him off me and I told him if he don't let me out of this house that I'm going to smash up your house," she said, adding her street survival instincts took over.

"Forget this I'm not going to let this guy do this to me — rape me. I'm not going to let this guy do this because I have been through this so many times on the street and out there I'm a fighter."

She says she fought him off, screaming, kicking, punching, and escaped, running out the door and down the stairs.

Shortly after that she entered a sobriety program, in part because of the disappearance of her friend Carolyn Sinclair, whose body was found near a city dumpster in March.

Like Denise, Sinclair was battling a drug addiction and worked in the sex trade to support her habit.

On Monday, Winnipeg police announced that Lamb, 52, is charged with three counts of second-degree murder in connection to the deaths of women reported missing within the last year.

One of those is Sinclair, who was 25.

The others are Tanya Jane Nepinak, 31, and Lorna Blacksmith, 18.

Lengthy record

Lamb, who is originally from Ontario, has an extensive criminal record extending across four provinces.

Since 1979, he has had 109 convictions in Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba. In the latter, Lamb has 45 convictions since 2002 for everything from robbery to forgery, fraud, and uttering threats.

Most recently he was charged with sexual assault in May and again this month. When Lamb was picked up on June 21, that was when police say they learned of his alleged connection to the three homicides.

The news of Lamb's arrest angered Denise, who says she has been sober since her January encounter with the alleged serial killer.

After Sinclair's body was found, Denise and others told police about Lamb's violent behavior and their suspicions he could have something to do with missing women cases.

"I had a gut feeling [he might have been involved]. I thought, 'Oh my God.' I was enraged. My stomach was twisted," Denise said.

But police officers just shrugged her off, she said. She never filed a formal complaint with police.

"It made me feel enraged, as if my voice wasn't heard and it wasn't looked upon and other people made reports of him too," she said.

But Denise said she is relieved she did not become another homicide statistic.

"I thank God every day for letting me live, for letting me survive that [encounter]," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/06/26/mb-sex-assa...

Please read this study (attachment below) about reducing sexual assault of women students by taking a series of workshops in women's self defense.

Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women
New England Journal of Medicine, 2015

Views: 3192

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

16yo girl fights off man in daylight attack on Brisbane's northside
By Rebecca Hyam, 23 Jan 2019

Aerial photo of satellite map showing Kittabilla Street at Chermside West.
Photo: A 16-year-old girl was dragged into bushes in Kittabilla Street, near the intersection with Craigslea Street. (Google Maps)

A 16-year-old girl has been pulled into bushes and assaulted in a brazen attack on Brisbane's northside.
Key points:

The teenager managed to fight off the attacker, kicking him before running away
He was described as a Caucasian man in his 20s-30s, roughly 185cm tall
Police want to speak to anyone who noticed a man acting suspiciously in the area

Police said the girl was walking along a footpath on Kittabilla Street, near the intersection with Craigslea Street at Chermside West, just after midday on Wednesday, when a man approached her.

He put his hand over her mouth and dragged her into nearby bushes.

But the teenager fought back, struggling free and kicking the attacker before running away.

Police said the girl was not physically injured in the attack but was "naturally very distraught".
A computer-generated image of a Caucasian man wearing sunglasses and a black cap
Photo: Police said this man might be able to help them with their investigation. (Supplied: Queensland Police Service)

The man was last seen running along Buran Street in Chermside West.

He is described as Caucasian, aged in his late 20s to early 30s, approximately 185 centimetres tall, with a proportionate build and stubble on his face.

The man was wearing a white t-shirt, black shorts, a black baseball cap, and black-framed sunglasses with orange reflector lenses.

Police are appealing for anyone who noticed a man acting suspiciously or who seemed out of place in the suburb to come forward with information.

Shortly after 9:00pm on Wednesday, police released a computer-generated image of a person they believed could assist with their investigation.

Police are also asking for any motorists who may have driving in the area near the assault between 11:30am and 12:45pm on Wednesday, or any homeowners who live nearby and may have CCTV footage, to contact them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-23/16yo-girl-fights-off-dayligh...

Girl, 15, Fights Off Attacker Who Attempted to Abduct Her While She Jogged: Police

December 5, 2018 - Inside Edition Staff

A Texas teen was forced to fight for her life when she was attacked by a man who attempted to abduct her as she was jogging, police said.

The 15-year-old girl was out for a run when a man in truck pulled alongside her on County Road 392 in Alvin about 9:20 p.m. Sunday, the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office said.

The man got out of his vehicle, a tan four-door early 2000s Chevrolet Silverado with Texas license plates, and approached the girl, whom he then wrapped his arms around, authorities said.

The girl screamed for help, and both she and her attacker fell to the ground, officials said. The girl fought the man off and he fled in his truck, police said.

The truck, which sits lower in the bed than in the front, was last seen traveling south on County Road 392 before turning to go east on County Road 184.

Police said the suspect was described as Hispanic with a medium complexion, and said he appeared to be in his late teens to early 20s. He stood between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-10 and weighed between 150 and 170 pounds. He was bald, but had a groomed black goatee and brown eyes.

At the time of the incident, the man wore a black hoodie, gray sweatpants and black Nike shoes with white bottoms.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call Investigator Jeff Mink with the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office at 979-864-2392, or to contact the Brazoria County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-460-2222.

Following a series of deaths of female runners, including Mollie Tibbetts in Iowa in July and Karina Vetrano in New York in 2016, authorities have urged women to remain vigilant while exercising.

After Tibbetts’ death, Inside Edition tested an arsenal of high-tech safety devices to determine their effectiveness. Correspondent Megan Alexander put to the test the LifeLine Response app, which uses GPS information to help emergency responders locate people who need them. When she dropped her phone, the app alerted police and let her know they were on their way.

In Inside Edition's test, it took just two minutes for police to arrive.

After Vetrano’s death, safety expert Kathleen Baty showed Inside Edition devices female joggers can use to protect themselves.

"Circle of Six is a great emergency app,” Baty said at the time. “You download the app and six of your contacts, and if something happens a simple press of the button sends a message to your contacts that says, ‘I need help.’ It also drops a GPS pin showing where you are.”

There is also the Tigerlady Self-Defense Claw, a device that fits inside a runner's hand. With a squeeze, a runner can punch or pierce an attacker with retractable spikes.

Baty also advises running with a buddy and first thing in the morning before everyone is out. She also had a key tip: Avoid listening to loud music.

“It's scary, you just never know,” Baty said. “It's a shame but women have to worry about this.”

https://www.insideedition.com/girl-15-fights-attacker-who-attempted...

Teen girl kidnapped near Landmark, Man., manages to escape her abductor
By Elisha Dacey Senior Online Producer Global News

Manitoba RCMP say a girl is safe after she was abducted while walking her dog Sunday.

The girl, 16, was walking her dog on Ste Anne’s Road southeast of Landmark, Man. at about 7 a.m. when a man drove his black pick-up truck beside her and offered her a ride. When she said no, he jumped out of the truck and forced her into it.

The driver continued to Road 45 N. about 2.5 KM away and the truck began to slow, said Sgt. Paul Manaigre of the Manitoba RCMP. “I think it was getting stuck, on a mud road as it might, I guess, being wet the last few days.”

LISTEN: Sgt. Paul Manaigre speaks to Global News Radio 680 CJOB about the abduction.

At this point, the teen managed to jump out of the truck and run to a nearby house. She suffered minor injuries, said police.

“It’s a traumatic experience for her,” said Manaigre. “Almost in a state of shock.”

Manitoba RCMP were called and detachments from Steinbach, St-Pierre-Jolys and the Police Dog Services unit responded, but weren’t able to find the man or the truck.

READ MORE: Police on the hunt for Burrows Avenue creep after girls escape safely

“The suspect is described as a clean-cut, 18-22-year-old male, approximately 5’8” with a medium build. He has a light-brown complexion, short black hair, and a round face,” said RCMP.

The truck is a black, older model 4-door pickup, with a dusty exterior and may have been repainted. The victim did not get the licence plate number.

“The dog, apparently, tried to intervene, I don’t know if it was by attacking or just trying to get in the way, she apparently may have pushed it away,” said Manaigre. The dog managed to run home and was not hurt.

READ MORE: Manitoba woman escapes kidnapper, RCMP hunting for suspect

“This is an extremely serious situation but we want to reassure the public that we are doing everything we can to track down the suspect.

“We are asking anyone who may have noticed a suspicious vehicle and driver in the area that matches the description provided to immediately contact police.”

This isn’t a typical crime for rural Manitoba, he added.

“In my 23 years of policing, I believe this is the first time I’ve come across this type of complaint.”

Major Crime Services are assisting with the ongoing investigation.

Anyone with information should call the St-Pierre-Jolys RCMP at 204-433-7433, call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477, or secure tip online at www.manitobacrimestoppers.com.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5425475/teen-girl-kidnapped-near-landmar...

4-Year-Old Girl Escapes After Man Allegedly Snatches Her From Bed, Stuffs Her in Wooden Trunk

Thomas Dewald claimed he was searching the neighborhood for children living in "deplorable conditions"
By Christine Pelisek May 01, 2019

A Pennsylvania man is behind bars after he allegedly crept into a home, kidnapped a 4-year-old girl from her second-floor bedroom, bound her hands, wrists and ankles with tape and then stuffed her into a wooden trunk at his grandparents’ house.

Thomas Dewald, 20, allegedly told police that he had searched the neighborhood for children playing in their yards unsupervised and living in “deplorable conditions,” according to a criminal complaint obtained by PEOPLE.

Dewald was charged April 30 with multiple felony counts including kidnapping, burglary, false imprisonment, unlawful restraint and criminal trespass.

Police say the girl was somehow able to escape just hours after she was abducted and was found along a roadway close to Dewald’s grandparent’s home and about two and a half miles from her Washington Township home.

“She escaped but we don’t know how and all the circumstances with it yet,” Pennsylvania State Trooper Megan Frazer tells PEOPLE. “There are a lot of unanswered questions.”

The case came to light in the early-morning hours of April 25 when the girl’s father called police to report her missing. He told police he put his daughter to bed the night before around 7:30 p.m. He said he awoke around 3 a.m. and noticed that the door to her bedroom was cracked open and the front door was ajar.

The man said he searched the home before he called police. Police immediately began searching the area for the missing little girl who was eventually located at 10 am that morning.

Police, conducting a search of the surrounding neighborhoods, spoke to Dewald’s grandmother on April 29. The woman told police that she had gone into her grandson’s room to see if he made his bed when she “heard what sounded like a baby crying.”

“The female related the crying seemed to come from the wall with the air conditioning unit, in his bedroom,” the complaint states.

She told police she didn’t know where the crying was coming from and had wanted to talk to Dewald about it but he had already left for work.

Police searched the home and discovered a large wooden chest directly under the air conditioning unit in the bedroom.

“Several large strips of long blonde hair (similar to the hair on the [victim]) was located inside the wooden chest in the bedroom,” the complaint states.

Police also found several large strips of black tape which contained shoe print impressions as well as dirt, grass and long blond hair.

Dewald came home during the search and allegedly admitted that he kidnapped the girl. He also allegedly admitted that he entered the child’s home through an unlocked front door and was there for about an hour before he kidnapped her.

He told police that his plan was to take the girl’s older brother but he “would have been too heavy to take,” the complaint reads.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Dewald said he took the child to his residence where he bound her with tape and placed her in the wooden chest in his bedroom, informing her that he would come back at noon, the complaint states.

He allegedly told police he returned later and the girl was gone.

Dewald is being held without bail in Franklin County Jail.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 14. It is unclear if he has retained an attorney.

https://people.com/crime/man-charged-with-snatching-4-year-old-girl...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Violence Prevention List

Click here for violence prevention list

Click on rose

Events

© 2019   Created by ROSE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service