The women and girls who escape or survive an assault know, or know something about, who the harassers, rapists, batterers and serial killers are. Survivors also give us insights into how to resist. A better understanding is needed about how acting from one's emotion, voice, persistence, ingenuity and training, but above all the use of multiple active strategies can protect women and girls.

I will be posting information here from news articles.

If you have any articles or insights to add your help would be deeply appreciated!

Woman Tells Of Escape From Alleged Serial Killer

CBC  |  Posted: 06/26/2012 1:14 pm Updated: 06/26/2012 3:44 pm

A Winnipeg woman who claims she was attacked by alleged serial killer Shawn Lamb says she is lucky to be alive — but she's angry that police didn't seem to care when she tipped them off about his violent behaviour.

It was a frigid January night earlier this year when 29-year-old Denise, a sex-trade worker who lived on the streets and sold her body in exchange for crack cocaine, was looking for a warm place to get high.

She knocked at the door of her friend's apartment suite. The friend wasn't home but a neighbour, Shawn Lamb, was. Denise says he invited her inside and they shared some crack that she had just scored.

But he wanted more, said Denise, who didn't want her last name published.

"He was forcing himself on me and I fought him off me and I told him if he don't let me out of this house that I'm going to smash up your house," she said, adding her street survival instincts took over.

"Forget this I'm not going to let this guy do this to me — rape me. I'm not going to let this guy do this because I have been through this so many times on the street and out there I'm a fighter."

She says she fought him off, screaming, kicking, punching, and escaped, running out the door and down the stairs.

Shortly after that she entered a sobriety program, in part because of the disappearance of her friend Carolyn Sinclair, whose body was found near a city dumpster in March.

Like Denise, Sinclair was battling a drug addiction and worked in the sex trade to support her habit.

On Monday, Winnipeg police announced that Lamb, 52, is charged with three counts of second-degree murder in connection to the deaths of women reported missing within the last year.

One of those is Sinclair, who was 25.

The others are Tanya Jane Nepinak, 31, and Lorna Blacksmith, 18.

Lengthy record

Lamb, who is originally from Ontario, has an extensive criminal record extending across four provinces.

Since 1979, he has had 109 convictions in Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and Manitoba. In the latter, Lamb has 45 convictions since 2002 for everything from robbery to forgery, fraud, and uttering threats.

Most recently he was charged with sexual assault in May and again this month. When Lamb was picked up on June 21, that was when police say they learned of his alleged connection to the three homicides.

The news of Lamb's arrest angered Denise, who says she has been sober since her January encounter with the alleged serial killer.

After Sinclair's body was found, Denise and others told police about Lamb's violent behavior and their suspicions he could have something to do with missing women cases.

"I had a gut feeling [he might have been involved]. I thought, 'Oh my God.' I was enraged. My stomach was twisted," Denise said.

But police officers just shrugged her off, she said. She never filed a formal complaint with police.

"It made me feel enraged, as if my voice wasn't heard and it wasn't looked upon and other people made reports of him too," she said.

But Denise said she is relieved she did not become another homicide statistic.

"I thank God every day for letting me live, for letting me survive that [encounter]," she said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/06/26/mb-sex-assa...

Please read this study (attachment below) about reducing sexual assault of women students by taking a series of workshops in women's self defense.

Sexual Assault Resistance Program for University Women
New England Journal of Medicine, 2015

Views: 3624

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Teen girl escapes from abduction on dead-end rural road: RCMP
By Beth Macdonell/CTV Winnipeg, June 24, 2019

RCMP are searching for a young, clean-cut suspect after a 16-year-old girl who was abducted while walking her dog escaped from a pick-up truck.

It happened Sunday morning, RCMP said.

Police were called by a homeowner who said the girl turned up hurt around 7:20 a.m.

Investigators believe the girl was walking on Ste Annes Road, southeast of Landmark, Man., when a pick-up truck driver stopped and asked her if she needed a ride.

She turned down the offer, and police said she was forced inside the truck.

It was as the truck slowed while approaching a dead-end on Road 45 North that the victim managed to escape, police said, around four kilometres east of Landmark.

She received minor injuries while making her way to the nearest home for help.

Police said the suspect is described as being a clean cut man with a light brown complexion, between the ages of 18 and 22.

He was around five foot eight and had a medium build, short black hair and a round face.

The truck was described as being a black, four-door, older-model pick-up with a dusty exterior. Police said it’s possible it had been repainted.

Experience 'traumatic' for victim: RCMP

Cpl. Julie Courchaine said it’s not clear how long the girl was with her abductor or how she sustained her injuries.

“Obviously very concerning, very traumatic experience for this young girl,” Courchaine said.

She said there are many police officers working on the case and a composite sketch of the suspect is being made in the hopes he can be identified.

People living in the area where the incident took place told CTV News they were shocked and disturbed and would be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

One woman told CTV News police came by her home and asked if she had any cameras.

Mom Debra Philbert was moving into a new home with her two young sons Monday, just metres from where the girl escaped.

Philbert lived for years in Winnipeg.

“This is why we left the city. A quiet neighbourhood. Safe for your kids to play in the yard. Hearing this, it sounds too close to home. A little nerve-wracking,” she said.

Philbert said she would be keeping her eyes peeled.

Anyone with information is asked to call the St-Pierre-Jolys RCMP at 204-433-7433, or submit an anonymous tip through Crime Stoppers.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/teen-girl-escapes-from-abduction-on-dea...

It was as the truck slowed while approaching a dead-end on Road 45 North that the victim managed to escape, police said, around four kilometres east of Landmark, Man.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/teen-girl-escapes-from-abduction-on-dea...

Woman escapes abuse during pandemic, giving hope to others
'It's an amazing gift,' says Laura, the first time in years she's felt safe
Jesse Johnston · CBC News · May 15, 2020

Canada’s Ministry for Women and Gender Equality says there has been a 20 to 30 per cent increase in domestic violence since the pandemic began. (Shutterstock)

There was a moment, sitting under a bright, brilliant sky, that a feeling washed over Laura, so unfamiliar at first that she couldn't place it.

Then it dawned on her — she was relaxed.

Laura, an alias created to protect her identity, had just removed herself from an abusive relationship, despite numerous challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Now, experiencing relaxation in her transition home for the first time in years, she made a point of savouring the moment.

"I am safe," she said. "It's an amazing gift."

CBC In Depth: Stopping domestic violence

The gift of safety, however, is one that eludes countless women in B.C. as they suffer through abuse in homes they can't escape.

Last month, Canada's minister for Women and Gender Equality said there has been a 20 to 30 per cent increase in domestic violence since the pandemic began.

Sairoz Sekhon, manager of Women’s Transition Housing and Supports Program for B.C. Housing, says they're doing their best to provide service during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Maggie MacPherson/CBC)

Increase in abuse

Laura, who had been in an abusive relationship for years, knew something had to change the day she felt blood run down her face.

She had just been hit in the eye with an object.

Days earlier, her abuser was angry and drunk, threatening her with a kitchen knife he had raised over his head.

"Every time I tried to leave, he would escalate his violence to threaten me to not go," she said.

"I didn't know where to go."

Laura briefly moved in with family after her abuser was arrested.

She was scared, had just lost her job due to the coronavirus and was concerned about moving into a group home setting during the pandemic, but the facility she reached out to assured her it had health and safety protocols in place.

Almost immediately after she arrived, she knew she made the right decision.

"I haven't felt this safe in a long time," she said. "This place, it's just unbelievable."

Amy FitzGerald, executive director of the B.C. Society of Transition Houses, expects demand for beds in shelters and transition houses will increase when COVID-19 restrictions are relaxed. (Maggie MacPherson/CBC)

More beds

The B.C. government secured nearly 300 emergency shelter beds in hotels and other facilities in response to the increase in domestic violence calls.

B.C. Society of Transitional Houses executive director Amy FitzGerald says so far, the demand for beds hasn't matched the dramatic spike in calls and texts that have flooded crisis lines since the pandemic began.

She believes that's because many women are trapped in situations where everyone in their home, including their abuser, is staying home during the pandemic, which makes it more difficult to escape.

"With the easing of restrictions and folks being able to leave their residences more freely, we anticipate that there will be more women coming into shelters," she said.

"We're trying to work with them and strategize so that women can actually access shelters in a safe way."

Sairoz Sekhon, who runs B.C. Housing's Women's Transition Housing and Support Program, says the emergency beds are also needed because capacity is reduced at certain shelters to accommodate physical distancing rules.

"That's been a significant challenge," she said. "Women and children need space to isolate safely."
Calls to crisis lines in B.C. about domestic violence have increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Maggie MacPherson/CBC)

Getting away

Debbie Scarborough, who runs a transition home in the B.C.'s Okanagan region, says it's often doctors who help connect women in abusive relationships with support, but with fewer medical appointments happening due to COVID-19, she fears that's not happening.

That's one of the reasons, she believes, that her staff are responding to an unprecedented number of emergency text messages and phone calls.

Scarborough says an increase in alcohol consumption — B.C. liquor stores reported a 40 per cent increase in sales in the early days of the pandemic — also plays a big role.

"Abusers are often drinking and then their tempers flare," she said.

"Now women and children are trapped in their homes with their abuser and there's nowhere to go."

That's the situation Laura found herself in but she escaped.

Now she's encouraging other women to do the same.

"They don't judge you, they just want you to know that you're protected," she said. "You can work on you and get your life back together."

CBC Vancouver's Impact Team investigates and reports on stories that impact people in their local community and strives to hold individuals, institutions and organizations to account. If you have a story for us, email impact@cbc.ca.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/domestic-abuse-covi...

Teen girl escapes attempted abduction at Mansfield marina; police looking for suspect
Clearfork Marina, Mansfield (Source: Facebook)
By Chris Anderson | July 28, 2020

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - The Mansfield Police Department is asking any potential witnesses to help in the investigation of an attempted abduction involving a 16-year-old girl.

Investigators were called to the Clearfork Marina on Monday afternoon in reference to the abduction attempt, according to Mansfield police.

Investigators say an unknown white male approached the teen girl and told her she “was beautiful.” He then grabbed the 16-year-old and pressed his body against hers.

The victim was eventually able to break free and call police.

According to police, the suspect was described as “skinny.” He was wearing a blue shirt and pants at the time.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident or has any information should call Mansfield police detectives at 419-755-9724.

Copyright 2020 WOIO. All rights reserved.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/07/28/teen-girl-escapes-attempted-...

Wisconsin Girl Escapes Captor 88 Days After Her Abduction and the Killing of Her Parents

A 21-year-old man charged with abduction, double homicide; town’s dread turns to relief

A 13-year-old Wisconsin girl missing for nearly three months since her parents were found dead in her home escaped her captor Thursday, ending a search that had transfixed the state.

Jayme Closs was abducted on Oct. 15, when police discovered someone broke into her family’s home and fatally shot her parents. She was found near the town of Gordon, about an hour’s drive north of her home in Barron, a small rural community in northern Wisconsin.

She was thin and unkempt but apparently healthy, officials said.

Police apprehended Jake Thomas Patterson, 21 years old, and charged him with two counts of murder and one count of kidnapping, authorities said. Authorities said he appeared to be looking for the girl when he was pulled over in a car matching a description provided by Jayme. ...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wisconsin-girl-escapes-captor-88-days-...

Police seek witnesses after attempted abduction of 14-year-old girl near south Edmonton school

Police don't believe the man and the girl knew one another. The girl is receiving support from the Zebra Child Protection Centre, police said.
Edmonton Journal, Oct 04, 2020

Edmonton police are investigating the attempted abduction of 14-year-old girl on Friday night.

At 8 p.m., police received a report of an abduction at a trail south of Dr. Margaret-Ann Armour School, 3815 Allan Drive SW, in southwest Edmonton, police said in a news release Sunday.
Police seek witnesses after attempted abduction of 14-year-old girl near south Edmonton school

It was reported to police that a 14-year-old girl was leaving the school and walking down an unlit trail towards a nearby residence when she was grabbed by an unknown male and pulled off the trail.

A struggle ensued but the girl was able to flee to safety, police said.

Police don’t believe the man and the girl knew one another. The girl is receiving support from the Zebra Child Protection Centre, police said.

The EPS Child Protection Section is investigating and continue to search for the suspect.

The man is described by police as having a very muscular, athletic build, standing six-foot-two with brown eyes and spoke with a deep, raspy voice. He was wearing a black hoodie with the hood up, black jeans, black work boots and a black medical-style mask.

“The suspect allegedly smelled of alcohol and is believed to be between 30 and 40 years of age,” police said in the release. “He may have sustained irritation to his eyes and face from the struggle.”

Anyone with information is asked to call EPS at 780-423-4567. Anonymous tips can be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/police-seek-witnesses-a...

Woman escapes after man uses Tinder to lure her into being kidnapped, sexually assaulted
Police found leads that the suspect may have committed similar crimes before.
ByJon Haworth, ABC News, 14 June 2020

A man has been arrested after using Tinder to entice a woman into meeting up with him and allegedly attempting to kidnap and rape her before she was able to break free in the middle of the assault.

The incident occurred when patrol deputies responded to a home in Fresno, California, on early Saturday morning to reports of a kidnapping and attempted rape that had been called in.

The suspect, 30-year-old Fabian Ornelas of Fresno, California, had allegedly used the social media dating app Tinder and created a profile under the name “Dominick” to entice a woman into meeting up with him earlier in the evening.

Fabian Ornelas, 30, was booked into the Fresno County Jail on June 13, 2020, on the charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment, attempted rape, probation violation and other charges relating to sexual assault. His total bail has been set at $243,500.

“After making a match with the woman online, Fabian arranged to meet with her in person,” the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement released on social media. “After spending some time together, the victim attempted to leave, but Fabian forced himself on her and attempted to rape her. The woman was able to break free during the middle of the assault and fled the area. She then called the Sheriff’s Office to make a report.”

Detectives subsequently served a search warrant at Orenlas’ home and discovered leads that the suspect may have committed similar crimes previously. Authorities are now asking those who may have felt they were a potential victim of Ornelas to contact them regarding this case.

Ornelas was booked into the Fresno County Jail on the charges of kidnapping, false imprisonment, attempted rape, probation violation and other charges relating to sexual assault. His total bail has been set at $243,500.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-escapes-man-tinder-lure-kidnapped-s...

Teen girl escapes attempted abduction at Mansfield marina; police looking for suspect

By Chris Anderson | July 28, 2020

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - The Mansfield Police Department is asking any potential witnesses to help in the investigation of an attempted abduction involving a 16-year-old girl.

Investigators were called to the Clearfork Marina on Monday afternoon in reference to the abduction attempt, according to Mansfield police.

Investigators say an unknown white male approached the teen girl and told her she “was beautiful.” He then grabbed the 16-year-old and pressed his body against hers.

The victim was eventually able to break free and call police.

According to police, the suspect was described as “skinny.” He was wearing a blue shirt and pants at the time.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident or has any information should call Mansfield polic detectives at 419-755-9724.

Copyright 2020 WOIO. All rights reserved.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/07/28/teen-girl-escapes-attempted-...

14-Year-Old Girl Escapes Attempted Kidnapping In Montclare Neighborhood
By CBS 2 Chicago Staff, September 22, 2020

CHICAGO (CBS)– A 14-year-old girl escaped an attempted kidnapping in the Montclare neighborhood Sunday night.

According to police, the teen was walking her dog near Nashville and Wellington avenues around 11:30 a.m. when two men approached in a white van.

Police said the passenger started talking to the 14-year-old but she did not engage and fled the scene. The drive then followed the victim into an alley.

The teen’s neighbor was in the alley and scared the men off. The van fled the scene.

Police said witness saw the white Chevrolet cargo van had no side windows and was carrying two ladders on the rood.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/09/22/14-year-old-girl-escapes-at...

11-year-old girl rescued after she's abducted getting off school bus:
Police Police used a highway construction site to stop the suspect's vehicle.
By Mark Osborne, Marc Nathanson, and Christina Carrega, 16 January 2020

11-year-old girl rescued after being abducted

A man grabbed and forced Charlotte Moccia into the back of a blue Honda Civic, police said, and within six hours a flood of 911 calls from the Massachusetts Turnpike led to the suspect's arrest.

Quick-thinking Massachusetts police used a highway construction site to stop the vehicle of a suspected kidnapper and rescue an 11-year-old girl.

Charlotte Moccia, of Springfield, was rescued Wednesday night after she was apparently abducted after getting off the school bus earlier that afternoon. She was unharmed.

The girl was forced into a dark blue Honda around 1:26 p.m., allegedly by Miguel Rodriguez, "not long after she got off her school bus," according to Massachusetts State Police.

Maggie Kenney, a neighbor, witnessed the ordeal. "He just grabbed her and threw her in the back seat," Kenney told Boston ABC affiliate WCVB. "He was screaming. She was saying, 'Stop, put me down, stop, put me down.'"

Police are searching for the vehicle in connection to the disappearance of Charlotte Moccia, 11, in Springfield, Mass., Jan. 15, 2020. Rodriguez allegedly used a knife and threatened to kill her if she screamed or tried to escape, according to his arrest warrant.

Authorities issued an Amber Alert and released photos of Charlotte and the car they said was used in the abduction. Around 7:15 p.m., state police began receiving 911 calls from motorists on the Massachusetts Turnpike who'd spotted the car near Brimfield, about 30 minutes from Springfield.

Acting quickly, officers used a road construction site along the turnpike to funnel traffic into one lane, slowing traffic to a crawl. When they spotted the suspect's car, they stopped the vehicle and found Charlotte in the backseat, with the 24-year-old Rodriguez in the driver's seat and a knife visible in the pocket of the door, police said.

One officer got Charlotte out of the car while two others removed Rodriguez at gunpoint. "She's an amazing little girl," said State Police Lt. Bob Ackerman. "I can't believe how strong she was dealing with this."

Charlotte was taken to a hospital for a precautionary evaluation, authorities said. "I was just crying and thanking God that that little girl is finally found," Kenney said.

A judge denied Rodriguez bail on Thursday.

"We're eternally grateful to the motorists that paid attention to the Amber Alert and called and reported seeing the vehicle," said Lt. Charles Murray. "There were a number of those calls and they made this rescue possible."

Two days before the kidnapping, the father of another girl in the area said the same car approached his daughter and tried to get her to come inside the vehicle, according to an arrest warrant.

She called her father, who came and picked her up and took a picture of the license plate on the car, which was the same one used in Charlotte's abduction.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/amber-alert-issued-girl-11-forced-car-abd...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Violence Prevention List

Click here for violence prevention list

Click on rose

Events

© 2021   Created by ROSE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service